London: A Pilgrimage by Gustave Dore and Blanchard Jerrold
Illustrated by Gustave Dore
Easton Press Deluxe Limited Edition
Limited to 400 Hand Numbered Copies
MINT Condition – Still in the Publisher’s Shrinkwrap
This is a beautiful limited edition recreation of the 1872 Gustave Dore illustrated edition “London: A Pilgrimage published by the Easton Press with a limitation of 400 hand number copies. The books come with a numbered Certificate of Authenticity but the edition number is unknown as the books are in the original packaging and are still sealed. In 1872, Harpers Bazaar ran a series of articles written by Blanchard Jerrold focusing on the contrast between the “haves and have nots” in London that featured the illustrations of Gustave Dore. That same year, Grant & Co. published the articles in book form. As one critic wrote in 1872 upon publication: "Implicit throughout Dore’s designs is the devastating contrast between rich and poor ... memorable plates record the appalling yet picturesque lives of the working or submerged classes."
From the publisher: Gustave Dore’s London: A Pilgrimage - Recreating the Historic 1872 Illustrated Edition ... In 1872, legendary artist Gustave Doré and British journalist Blanchard Jerrold published an extraordinary portrait of Victorian London that lives on today as one of the most powerful illustrated books of the century and an irreplaceable historic document. From the highest society to the lowest depths, Doré's dramatic images brilliantly capture 19th century life in the first great modern metropolis.
· Leather-bound Deluxe Limited Edition. Limited to just 400 hand-numbered copies
· All 180 illustrations by the great Gustave Doré from the historic 1872 edition.
· 54 full-page plates, each protected by hand-applied tissue overlays.
· The original cover from the 1872 edition beautifully stamped in two colors.
· Two-color printing throughout.
· A custom-crafted slipcase for storage and display.
· A raised "hubbed" spine deeply embossed with genuine 22kt gold.
· Acid-neutral paper that will not crumble with age.
· Printed marble endsheets, Smyth-sewn pages.
· Measures 14.75” x 11.75”, 328 pages.
The book is in MINT condition and still in the original publisher’s shrinkwrap.
Stock photographs of the book, a page from the prospectus, and a few images from the books appear in the photo section of the listing.